Published on 19th October 2017
Cuneiform Records announce first ever Art Zoyd box-set
Cuneiform Records announce the release 44 ½ : Live & Unreleased Works – The Art Zoyd Box Set on 24th November 2017.
44 ½ is a landmark release. It is a monumental work – 12 CDs, 2 DVDs, 2 booklets, 2 posters, encased in a stunning box designed by UK graphic designer/artist Max Franosch. It is the first box set released by the band Art Zoyd, and the first box set released by Cuneiform Records. It is also an important work, a comprehensive collection of all of the previously unreleased material created by Art Zoyd, one of the late-20th/early 21st century’s most significant European New Music ensembles. 44 ½ focuses the spotlight on and unearths the treasure chest known as Art Zoyd, genre-defiant pioneers who fused elements and instrumentation from classical, rock and electronic music and helped pave the way for Chamber Rock, post-rock and post-classical music, and other 21st Century’s genre transcendant music.
Trying to make France’s Art Zoyd fit into a single neat description is an exercise in futility. Sometimes they’re fiendish sonic saboteurs bent on destroying listener’s preconceptions about the way music works. Sometimes they’re musical sorcerers conjuring strange but bewitching moments of lyrical beauty.
You could call them the original post-rock band, moving on from the dark, stormy sounds of prog legends like Magma and King Crimson to something that makes even those fearless explorers sound conventional by comparison. You’d be equally accurate in dubbing them avant-classical composers, whose experimental visions are influenced by Stravinsky and Schoenberg.
44 ½ : Live & Unreleased Works
The Art Zoyd Box Set
Box Set Contents: There are eight CDs of live recordings stretching from the years 1972-2004 and four CDs of studio recordings, sketches and outtakes from 1980-2005. Of the two DVDs, one is comprised of historical television appearances from the late 70s into the end of the 80s and the other being the entire performance of their celebration at the RIO Festival.
Box Set Design: The box and all components (cover art, booklet layout etc) were designed by UK graphic artist Max Franosch, and feature his interpretations of the Art Zoyd logo and his original artwork.
12 CDs featuring:
• Live in Berlin parts 1 & 2, The Loft (April 1987)
• Häxan, Live in Copenhagen parts 1 & 2, European Capital of Culture (February 1996)
• u•B•I•Q•U•e, Live in Maubeuge, La Luna (January 2000)
• Le mariage du ciel et de l’enfer, Live in Paris parts 1 & 2, with the Ballet National de Marseille (Roland Petit), Théâtre des Champs-Élysées (March 1985)
• Theatre & Live
• LIVE brigades spéciales théâtre de la renaissance Paris (1976)
• LIVE Mons Danses Mécaniques (2000)
• “La Nuit du Jabberwock,” with members of Musiques Nouvelles, Live in Armentières, Le Vivat (2002)
• Live in Grenoble, 38èmes Rugissants Festival (1990)
• LIVE GRENOBLE NOSFERATU (1990)
• Live in Maubeuge, Art Zoyd with the Orchestre National de Lille (2000)
• Symphonie pour le jour où brûleront les cités (1975/orch. 2000)
• Live in Mexico, Art Zoyd with the Orquesta Sinfónica del Estado de México (1999)
• Armageddon, actes 2 & 3, Live in Lille (2004)
• Unreleased works
• Globe Arena (1989)
• Musique pour le Six-Centenaire du Beffroi de Bethune (1988)
• Bethune 1789 (1989)
• Les Inattendus de Maubeuge “Spoutnik” (1993)
• Les Trois Mousquetaires
• Flixecourt Tisserands
• La Guerre de Marguerite
• Au nom du Père (1991)
• Malbodium (1987)
• L’étrangleur est derrière vous (1983)
• Terra Terra! (1986)
• Live in Nancy (1975)
• Live in Reims, Maison de la Culture (1980)
• Live performance (excerpt) for Radio Tonkraft, Stockholm (October 3, 1979)
• Marco Polo (1984)
2 DVDs featuring:
• 44 ½ , the birthday concert, Live at Maison de la Musique, Cap’Découverte, Le Garric, France, Rock In Opposition Festival 2015 (September 19, 2015)
• Live in Berlin, Centre Culturel Français de Berlin (April 14–15, 1986)
• Live on Phase IV / FR3 TV, Hôtel de Ville de Maubeuge (December 1982)
• Nosferatu – Teaser (1988)
• Musique pour l’Odyssée / FR3 Nord Picardie TV excerpt (1979)
• Le mariage du ciel et de l’enfer (excerpts) / Antenne 2 TV (1985)
2 Booklets featuring:
• One Photos booklet, containing archival photographs in color as well as black & white
• One Texts booklet, containing CD and DVD listings for the whole box set, a two page spread on the band history, and three extensive interviews with the band over the years.
SOURCE: Cuneiform Records